Saturday, February 20, 2010

visit to Victoria


Sweetie and I spent the last three days wandering around  Victoria, BC. It's a wonderful small city to traipse about. From busy & noisy China Town to  Oak Bay Avenue's quaint little village atmosphere there is always something to see. We had a wonderful concoction at Venus Sophia Tea Room  in the heart of China Town ~  something I've never considered (didn't know what I was missing) a rooibos latte. They grind the rooibos very fine and treat it like ground espresso. Delicious! The decadent brownie that went with it was divine as well. Good thing we (well, I) put many miles on my feet because did we ever eat well!  We started our first day by having an absolutely huge breakfast at John's Place, recommended and patronized by locals.  By far the best omelette I have ever had! Great fuel for the day of walking ahead.  Sweetie had banana bread French toast slathered in banana's and walnuts and syrup that was reminiscent of banana flavoured marshmallow cream.  Yikes! He loved it!

I loved the view from our room at the Carlton Plaza Hotel to the Ducks Building.  Great architecture, one of many interesting things to see on Broad Street. Great hotel location for people who want to walk the city! Just down Broad street and to the right is Trounce Alley where you will find the Tapa Bar, a stupendous place to eat.  We had an eclectic mix of food starting with their latin casear salad and grilled portobello mushrooms, finishing with Bistek al Ajillo (sweetie and his beef) and pollo Armanda (me and my chicken )
Amazingly flavourful food that just hit the spot.

Earlier in the day while sweetie watched some Olympic's on TV (yes, in a hotel room, sigh) I high tailed it  over to  Opus.  An hour and a half later, I emerged with a nice big bag of tricks!  I can't wait to try out my new Derwent Graphitint pencils. Here's a review on them: drawsketch review.  My right hand is healing nicely but... might be another week or so until I can really play. 
All in all it was one of my favorite trips to my favorite small city.  From Chintz and Company , Capital Iron and Silk Road to Murchies , Munro Books , The Papery and Muffet & Louisa, there is something for everyone.  And I have the credit card receipts to prove it :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: