Monday, May 24, 2010

rain rain go away.. weeds too!


Yes, I am complaining about the rain, even if it did leave me a heart shaped puddle on my ladies mantle.May long weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm.  What is going on here?  It's so cold the gas fireplace is still on. Yikes.  In the short break from rain yesterday I took some photo's of plants that are making me nuts.  I'm not sure why some plants have to be so greedy and spread like mad, but I seem to have more than my fair share.  The worst of them are the maple trees.  I think every helicopter that hit the ground last year has sprouted.  I refuse to dignify them with a photo.  The dastardly oregano however, needs to go on notice, the war is on. 
I may have to employ underhanded measures, but I swear it won't win this one.

Alongside the oregano is a euphorbia, that while lovely, is just a tad aggressive for my liking.

This silver lace vine is creeping and crawling in the woods between my neighbors property and mine.  I can't claim to have introduced it into the hood but I will be trying to get rid of it.

A few years ago I put one sage plant in my gravel garden.  It seems to really like the ambiance. It too has spread, but not in a nasty way.

And finally, a thought. Are the principles of economics at work even in the garden?  This euphorbia is so gorgeous, and it was a tad expensive..... why can't it spread like it's cousin, Mr lime green?  Why do we dislike the plants that spread and share themselves with abandon? I wonder if I should be thinking oregano lawn? It would smell fantastic every time I cut it :)

No comments: